What is Microban® Antimicrobial Protection?
Built into products during the manufacturing process, Microban® antimicrobial product protection inhibits the growth of microbes, such as bacteria, mold and mildew that can cause stains, odors and deterioration of a product.
What is the Value of Microban® Antimicrobial Protection?
The Microban® brand is the global leader in built-in antimicrobial protection. The Microban brand is a valuable trusted trademark that will reassure customers they are getting durable, effective antimicrobial protection. Microban partners have successfully leveraged the Microban brand to grow their businesses by improving profit margins, gaining or defending market share, improving product mix, and securing new distribution.
In a recent Gallup poll, 75% of consumers reported they prefer to purchase products with antimicrobial protection. In addition, hundreds of quantitative market research studies have demonstrated that Microban brand can greatly influence consumer purchase preference, delivering significant improvements in pricing, leverage, market share and/or product mix.
Why Is Microban® Protection Important?
- Leading Antimicrobial Brand - The Microban® brand is the global leader in built-in antimicrobial protection.
- Technology Neutral – Microban utilizes a broad range of antimicrobial technologies to find the right antimicrobial solutions to meet the specific needs for a variety of unique products.
- Exceptional Durability – Microban technology is infused into fabrics and foams during the manufacturing process to ensure exceptional durability for the life of the product. Microban engineers have developed solutions for polyester and polyester cotton blended fabrics durable to over 50 commercial launderings and up to 100 home laundering cycles, as well as lifetime durability for foam applications.
- Environmental Stewardship – Microban protection keeps apparel and footwear cleaner and fresher for a longer period of time, reducing bacterial odors. (Our broad technology portfolio also includes Oeko-Tex approved formulations.)
- Safe and Effective – Microban antimicrobial technologies have a history of safe, durable and effective use and are registered and are registered with the EPA, REACH, and BPD/BPR.
How Does Microban® Technology Work?
- Microban technology is built into a product during the manufacturing process, and becomes an intrinsic part of the product, both on the inside and surface of the product.
- When microbes (i.e. bacteria, mold, mildew, odors, etc.) come in contact with the product surface, Microban protection penetrates the cell wall of the microbe, which prevents the microbe from growing and reproducing.
- In a recent laboratory test, an unprotected fabric sample and a fabric sample with Microban antimicrobial protection were both inoculated with odor causing bacteria. The fabric sample with Microban protection measured 250 times less malodor than the unprotected fabric sample.
As of April 1, 2012, Aegis is now part of Microban International. As part of this integration, Microban is incorporating all Aegis technologies into its portfolio of antimicrobial technologies.
AEGIS EcoFresh® - The Aegis technology protects products from stains and odors caused by bacteria, mold and mildew. This Aegis technology is available worldwide and enables manufacturing in all major markets. Mill Application is also easily achieved by mixing with water and can be introduced to any textile type. The EcoFresh mark instills confidence in your customers that a portion of the product they are buying is environmentally friendly. With EcoFresh, your customers can conserve water and lower their energy consumption all without sacrificing performance.
AEGIS Microbe Shield® antimicrobial technology - With more than 30 years of proven performance, the benefits of the Aegis Microbe Shield goes beyond the ability to help prevent the growth of stains and odors caused by bacteria, mold and mildew. This durable technology equals less time spent doing laundry, less detergent released into the environment and less water used.