Advanced Flexible Materials Inc. is the maker of Heatsheets® recyclable event, emergency and survival products, and Silver Lining®, reflective insulating fabrics. The company is a business-to-business manufacturer who offers a variety of thermal-reflective solutions for a variety of uses, from wrapping runners in brilliantly branded heat reflective sheets that prevent hypothermia, to survival products for outdoor enthusiasts, to warm insulating layers in outdoor apparel and mittens that work almost as well wet as they do dry.
All AFM products and solutions share a common technology. Drawing on reflective insulation barrier technology developed for NASA for the US space program, AFMInc has been granted exclusivity for both their Heatsheets® and Silver Lining® product lines. Under the license, all materials currently produced by company have earned Certified SPACE Technology status.
What is Reflective Insulation Technology?
Radiant insulation typically includes a layer of highly reflective aluminum. Most often, it is created by adding an ultra-thin, radiant barrier layer of aluminum, joined with one or more layers of plastic film or fabric (for puncture and tear resistance) that, when installed properly, will block significant amounts of the radiant heat that reaches its surface. In aerospace applications, and in some survival or rescue operations, radiant barrier performance levels can exceed 95%. But for apparel use, 95% reflection would make garments unbearably hot, so reflective insulation values must be reduced through variations in the layers that dampen the radiant barrier effect to more desirable levels.
Radiant barriers are unaffected by humidity or ambient temperatures, unlike other forms of insulation, and therefore perform at a consistent level, regardless of those conditions.
Reflective Insulation Technology has been used by NASA since the earliest satellites, and continues to be used today as the primary space suit insulation to protect every astronaut from the extreme temperatures of outer space. In its original form, the technology is effective in temperatures as high as 120 degrees C. (250 degrees F.) to as low as -238 degrees C. (-460 degrees F.)
What is a Silver Lining® Reflective Insulation Fabric?
AFM's Silver Lining® fabrics combine an encapsulated, reflective-insulation barrier with a soft, non-woven fabric to create a comfortable, insulating lining. Made of aluminized polymer film, Silver Lining's radiant barrier layer deflects solar heat and captures body heat to provide comfortable warmth. Available in either breathable or waterproof form.
Silver-Lining® blankets donated by AFMInc prevent hypothermia in manatee during Florida Fish & Game tagging and rescue program.
How do Silver Lining® fabrics work?
Silver Lining's ultra-thin coating of 99.99999% pure aluminum is applied in a vacuum chamber. This highly efficient heat reflective coating is about 1/100th the thickness of a human hair. The micro-thin reflective insulation coating is capable of returning up to 60% of a person's body heat. Silver Lining's reflective insulation works as a "heat-mirror". Just as a mirror returns light, a "heat-mirror" returns heat.
The advantages of Silver Lining® fabrics
- Available as Water Proof TF™ (non-breathable)
- Available as Breathable Aire-TF™ (breathable), which are windproof/wind-resistant
- Provides a non-conductive IR-reflective insulation layer
- Retains reflective insulation properties even when wet
- Easy to cut and sew
- Machine washable
The Uses for "Silver Lining® fabrics?
- Thermal linings
- Parka linings
- Emergency sleeping bags
- Travel and stadium blankets
- Mattress liners
What Are Heatsheets®?
Heatsheets® are ultra-light, super-warm, heat-reflective blankets, manufactured as a metallized film made from a proprietary-blend of high-performance polyethylene resins. For single-use applications where weight, space and cost are the overriding concerns, Heatsheets are typically 1 mil thick (or 0.001 inch). Additional custom options are available, including resin-based colorants and printing in up to 10 colors. Minimums apply.
The Advantages of Heatsheets®
- The reflective layer in Heatsheets® blankets reflect and return up to 95% of body's radiant heat to the user, creating an envelope of warm air
- Heatsheets are soft, quieter and more durable than early generations of emergency blanket products
- Heatsheets are offered in forms designed for specific applications, from Pocket Blankets™ for individual use, to Heatsheets-on-a-Roll for mass distribution events, to Easy-Open Folds™ for rapid deployment by first responders.
- Heatsheets are recyclable and guidelines for recycling are available on AFMInc's website at www.afminc.com or www.heatsheets.com
- Heatsheets are available with environmentally friendly print, and AFM's printing partner holds an Environmentally Preferred Rating.
- Heatsheets® are manufactured and printed in California, where state law (AB 455) prohibits the use of heavy metals in inks or materials. Inks used are water based (as opposed to solvents), minimizing environmental impact, and are in full compliance with the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act that restricts the use of lead and phthalates.
The Uses for Heatsheets®
- To protect runners and finishers of mass participation endurance events from hypothermia in all types of weather
- To warm any athlete in any sport and prevent hypothermia
- To warm spectators during a cold outdoor event
- To prevent hypothermia and shock in survival and medical situations
- As part of luxury spa center treatments
- To keep acupuncture patients warm and comfortable.